Monthly Archives: March 2017
Identifying your own particular interior design style can be difficult. But once you determine the style that suits you best, the process of decorating your home will become much easier. Here are a few tips for finding your personal design style:
- Determine your likes and dislikes by looking at the furniture and accessories you have now. Our homes often become a patchwork of different interests, styles and cultures over time. Which of these do you feel passionate about, and which would you like to disappear?
- Collect information from home decorating TV shows, websites and by cutting out pictures from design magazines. Note the details of any room you happen to feel comfortable in. Ask yourself what it is about the ambiance that appeals to you. Is it the lighting, wall colour or furnishings?
- Imagine your ideal holiday accommodation. Is it a sleek boutique hotel in a contemporary style, a cozy B&B with shabby chic decor, or an elegant inn furnished in a traditional way? These are all individual design styles – pinpoint your favourite as a cue to your own.
- Consider where you enjoy shopping for home furnishings. Do you travel back in time browsing antique and second hand stores, or do you fast forward with a yen for the ultra modern in design décor. This is another great indicator of your personal style.
- Translate your passion for places into your style. If your ideal setting is by the sea, create a restful room with light furniture set against cool breezy colours of blue, aqua and green. Alternatively, sleek leather furniture, mirrored tables and dramatic accessories evoke a lounge-like experience.
- Create a coordinated home with paint colours, materials, and accessories. Bold, bright wall colours complement dark leather furniture in a contemporary setting. If your preference is for neutral grey or a black and white palette, add a pop of vivid colour with pillows or candles. A unique vase, abstract art or a one-of-a-kind lamp can give your room that personal touch and wow factor.
- Aim for a clutter-free look, no matter what your design style is. As well as being more restful to the eye, it is easier to keep clean and tidy.
- Mix it up! Indulge your eclectic taste. From modern to traditional, and everything in between, one of the most important rules in decorating is to choose what you really love. If your home is comfortable, relaxing and stamped with your own style, you’ll enjoy it all the more.
When you decide to put your home on the market, you’ll want to minimize personal touches in order to maximize buyer appeal. Neutralizing your décor makes it easier for potential buyers to imagine themselves living in your space. If you would like any additional tips or have any questions about preparing your home for sale, please do not hesitate to contact us at The Rocca Sisters Office. We are always available to help you, your friends and your family in making your moving experience as smooth and profitable as possible.
For many seniors the idea of downsizing and moving into a smaller home can be daunting and warrants a lot of consideration before taking the leap.
Whether the property is too much to manage, the kids are grown and gone, you’re looking to travel, or you simply want a smaller living space, it is important for home owners to do their homework before making any final decisions.
“There is so much for a home owner to consider when they are thinking about downsizing,” said Cathy Rocca. “It’s important to look at the decision from all angles and to utilize all of the resources that are available.”
Below are some considerations that might help in the decision making process.
The market: What are the real estate trends in your area? Will you be able to make money on the sale of your home? Working with a seasoned realtor will give you a good idea of what the possible sale of your home will look like.
Personal finances: Go over your finances thoroughly. If you’re on a retirement or fixed income and your savings aren’t enough to give you security, then the profit from the sale of your home could give you a bit of a nest egg.
Property payments: Depending on where you live, your property taxes might be quite high, taking a substantial amount out of your budget or savings. Assess whether or not those expenses would be reduced if you were in a different neighbourhood or on a smaller lot. A realtor will be able to give you some insight into this.
Don’t be hasty: Take assurance from the fact that you can take your time in figuring this out. Meet with your realtor to get a sense of the work you would need to do, and to get a better understanding of what you need from the sale of your home and in the purchase of your new place.
Spring is almost upon us and in just a couple of weeks we will be celebrating Easter! As children eagerly anticipate the arrival of a certain festive bunny, the Rocca Sisters & Associates are proud to once again be the presenting sponsor with Museums of Burlington’s Sp’egg’tacular Easter Event on Sunday, April 9 from 11 am to 3 pm.
Hop on over to Ireland House at Oakridge Farm, at 2168 Guelph Line in Burlington, for this family-oriented event that’s fun, festive and a memorable time for all!
The Rocca Sisters & Associates are thrilled to provide our community the opportunity to celebrate the arrival of spring, community spirit and of course Easter!
“One of the ways we can thank our community is to invite everyone to join us at the Sp’EGG’tacular Easter Event at Ireland House on Oakridge Farm FREE of charge,” says Tanya Rocca.
Egg-citing activities will include an Easter egg trail and visits with the Easter bunny. The trail will be open from 11 am to 3 pm for all ages. Kids can find three of the same-coloured eggs in order to complete the hunt. Once collected, they can trade their three eggs for a treat bag! And, if they find a golden egg they will win a special prize!
“We have it on good authority that the Easter Bunny is feeling extra generous this year, so get those bunny ears on, bring your best Easter basket, and keep your eyes peeled for lots of eggs!” adds Cathy Rocca.
Be sure to leave time for the family friendly activities including Bricks 4 Kidz lego activity station, Comedy Magic Show at 2pm, crafts, games, face-painting (this is always a hit with the kids!) and more. Museum tours, silent auction, vendors, Horticultural Society spring wands and more! A delicious spring BBQ and other refreshments will be available. Be sure to visit the Rocca Sisters & Associates’ tent in which children will receive a free giveaway!
Admission is free but donations are welcomed and will go to supporting the children’s educational programs and conservation of the museum’s collection.
“Ireland House Museum is a local treasure with wonderful educational programs and an incredible historic collection. We invite everyone to come out to this free event, and encourage residents to donate to the Museums of Burlington,” explains Tanya.
Ireland House at Oakridge Farm is one of the oldest heritage homes in the community, and the Museums of Burlington bring past to present by fostering exploration and curiosity.
So, mark your calendars and bring the entire family for an Egg-tastic time!!!
For more information on the event, visit the “Upcoming Events” section of our website, www.RoccaSisters.ca. We look forward to seeing you there!