Find your own personal design style
Identifying your own particular interior design style can be difficult. But once you determine the style that suits you best, the process of decorating your home will become much easier. Here are a few tips for finding your personal design style:
- Determine your likes and dislikes by looking at the furniture and accessories you have now. Our homes often become a patchwork of different interests, styles and cultures over time. Which of these do you feel passionate about, and which would you like to disappear?
- Collect information from home decorating TV shows, websites and by cutting out pictures from design magazines. Note the details of any room you happen to feel comfortable in. Ask yourself what it is about the ambiance that appeals to you. Is it the lighting, wall colour or furnishings?
- Imagine your ideal holiday accommodation. Is it a sleek boutique hotel in a contemporary style, a cozy B&B with shabby chic decor, or an elegant inn furnished in a traditional way? These are all individual design styles – pinpoint your favourite as a cue to your own.
- Consider where you enjoy shopping for home furnishings. Do you travel back in time browsing antique and second hand stores, or do you fast forward with a yen for the ultra modern in design décor. This is another great indicator of your personal style.
- Translate your passion for places into your style. If your ideal setting is by the sea, create a restful room with light furniture set against cool breezy colours of blue, aqua and green. Alternatively, sleek leather furniture, mirrored tables and dramatic accessories evoke a lounge-like experience.
- Create a coordinated home with paint colours, materials, and accessories. Bold, bright wall colours complement dark leather furniture in a contemporary setting. If your preference is for neutral grey or a black and white palette, add a pop of vivid colour with pillows or candles. A unique vase, abstract art or a one-of-a-kind lamp can give your room that personal touch and wow factor.
- Aim for a clutter-free look, no matter what your design style is. As well as being more restful to the eye, it is easier to keep clean and tidy.
- Mix it up! Indulge your eclectic taste. From modern to traditional, and everything in between, one of the most important rules in decorating is to choose what you really love. If your home is comfortable, relaxing and stamped with your own style, you’ll enjoy it all the more.
When you decide to put your home on the market, you’ll want to minimize personal touches in order to maximize buyer appeal. Neutralizing your décor makes it easier for potential buyers to imagine themselves living in your space. If you would like any additional tips or have any questions about preparing your home for sale, please do not hesitate to contact us at The Rocca Sisters Office. We are always available to help you, your friends and your family in making your moving experience as smooth and profitable as possible.